Root & Bloom Café | Market is Buffalo’s first all plant-based café offering a healthy spin on classic dishes, heavily inspired by west coast flavors, with east coast comfort.
Hey there! We’re looking for the right people to join our small but very mighty team at a brand-new plant-based café start up in Buffalo. The right person will be someone who finds fun in every moment; is lively, energetic, outgoing, and fun. You’ll be working alongside our owner and chef to create the most delicious vegan food the city has to offer. We want someone who will keep the kitchen light-hearted, kind, has a great sense of humor and who truly loves working with beautiful ingredients and food. Being a learner is a must; we’re not interested in someone who “knows it all” or is “trained” necessarily. We’re looking for a person who loves to collaborate, introduce new ideas with excitement, learn how to take their skills to a new level, and be exploratory and fun with plant foods. We want someone who wants to see our café grow and thrive, and who wants to become immersed in our community. Like a really good friend, we want our employees to trust us and we will have trust in them, and we want to raise each other up during each and every shift.
Summary: Prep/Sous Chef
The prep cook is responsible for preparing cooking ingredients by washing and chopping vegetables, preparing sauces, plating dishes, etc. Undertake basic cooking duties to assist the head chef. Prepare simple dishes, baked goods, sides. Maintain a clean and orderly kitchen by washing dishes, sanitizing surfaces, taking out trash and other duties as assigned.
· Assist in the receiving of all product and inventory management
· Make prep recipes and menu products to chef’s desires
· Properly labeling, dating, covering and refrigerating prepped items for the line
· Fill in where needed to ensure we meet our guest service standards
· Control food cost and usage by following proper requisition of products from storage areas, product storage procedures, standard recipes and waste control procedures including checking and maintaining proper food holding and refrigeration temperature control points
· Ensure kitchen and equipment is kept clean as well as properly stored at the end of each service
· Perform opening, closing & shift duties – including but not limited to stocking, setting up and breaking down kitchen equipment
· Maintain an organized and sanitary kitchen environment ensuring restaurant meets all DOH and HAACP codes
· Demonstrates impeccable product knowledge
· Communicating professionally with co-workers and Front-of-the-House staff
· Other duties as assigned
· Follow and comply with established procedures including weights and measurements, health and sanitation, and adhere to a safe work environment.
· Must be at least 18 years old
· Have experience cooking and living a plant-based lifestyle
· Perform duties which require bending & reaching
· Ability to follow instructions and procedures
· Ability to multitask and change priorities constantly as needed in a fast-paced environment.
· Available for flexible scheduling including weekends and holidays.
· Must be available Thursday, Friday evenings and Saturday, Sunday mornings and afternoons.
Hours: 30 - 40 hours a week. Pay: DOE
Alright, now that we are past all of the legal mumbo jumbo stuff here is what we want from you. We don’t want a resume. Your credentials don’t matter to us, you matter to us. Tell us a story about food, or about you. Convince us with your words why you want to work for a plant-based restaurant and how you this will benefit you and us. Make sure you put “Plant Based Kitchen” in your subject line.
Root & Bloom is an Equal Opportunity Employer